5.24.2011

DIY

Finally with some down time, my roommate and I got the chance to do a few do-it-yourself jobs around the house. I think what really motivated us to get it all done was after my roommate came back from the Brimfield Antique Show in Massachusetts with a real PERSIAN RUG!

Even Lily loves the rug

With this new addition to the living room, we could finally start to make the room more cohesive buy choosing a color scheme. The rug is huge and takes up almost the entire room so it became the main decider in our color options. The blue-green rug against our yellow-orange stained wood floors was a blessing ( color compliments!). But I wanted more than just blue and orange...so we went with a color triad (blue-green, yellow-orange and red-violet).

We painted the bookshelf nook Misty Harbor. This color came from the lighter blue found in the rug.
We re-stuffed our once dying mid century modern armchair with some new foam and had custom pillows made in this magenta fabric from Ikea. Notice the wood of the armchair is also in the yellow-orange family.

I secretly sanded and painted this side console in a pewter metallic paint. I knew my roommate wouldn't believe me that it would look great until she saw it done. Previously, there were too many different kinds and shades of woods in the room and every room needs a little shine. The candles at night give the room a great ambiance but at times feel a bit like a seance. 

My roommate also bought this cute little milk maid seat. I'm still trying to convince her to put it in the living room and not her bedroom.
The next step in this room transformation? Probably the most important thing...lighting! Stay tuned..

1 comment:

  1. Love the new look! So nice of you to redecorate in time for my visit.

    ReplyDelete