3.02.2011

A Bladder is Forever..

On Friday I present my design for the women's commercial bathroom of a De Beers retail space. It's a small project, but here's what I've got so far...

De Beers is diamonds. They exude brilliance, luxury and prestige. Just as their diamonds can ‘illuminate a fleeting moment and add brilliance to every memory’, so too can its retail experience... 



The layout is standard; a handicap accessible commercial bathroom. On the ceiling I have created translucent square panels with lights above each, rotated and tilted at angles, replicating the idea of light hitting the prisms of a diamond.  



Here are the materials I have chosen for the bathroom. I went with black, grays and white for a sleek, clean and sophisticated look. I wanted the materials to have a luster and a sharpness to them; paying homage to the company's product.






Finally, here are the elevations of the bathroom. Instead of a standard metal commercial paper towel and tampon dispenser hung on the wall, I've created custom velvet lined drawers within the vanity. I felt a custom design such as this was more appropriate for such a high end brand. Also, these drawers reference the opening of a jewelry box.

Think if I send De Beers my design I might score some free diamonds?! Wish me luck!




3 comments:

  1. Love the design!

    What about sound? Is that a part of design? I'm envisioning a high-end stereo system playing classical music or a water feature like a cascading fountain--that makes a tinkling sound (water helps some people pee). Hust a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sleek and elegant. I was in a restroom just the other day and thought, if emma ever designs one of these I'll remind her to have hooks outside the stalls, near the sinks, so women can hang their bags, coats, etc., while they're washing their hands. So consider yourself reminded.

    Grams

    ReplyDelete